Monday, July 30, 2007

Grumpy Old Photographers


For my last post I urge you to visit this website that Adobe has created. (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc41711/6) On this forum I have found many grumpy, old school photographers like myself griping about the changes that digital photography has imposed on our artform. One grumpy old photographer commented "Has the photography hobby been downgraded by the apparent lack of thought now required in this auto everything mass exposure world where if you click the shutter often enough you are going to get lucky ?" He also stated the theory that I have been focusing on all semester-"the million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually producing a masterpiece theory." To say it simply, we film photgraphers are all in the same boat here. We can be outdone by ametures who just click away without any consideration to composition, light source, f-stop or aperature. With just one click a digital camera can take a picture that can be cropped, rotated, and adjusted by photoshop. Another grumpy photographer made the comment that someone who proudly takes 700+ pictures on a digital camera but just clicking away might capture some good, maybe even amazing photos. The question is, will they recognize them when they see them or will they simply be deleted from a memory card?

2 comments:

Kenny said...

Although this article of yours said it had five comments and when I clicked to see them, it only had three and they were all spam, I still had to post my thoughts.

I agree with you totally. I shoot film and love it. I recently read where someone referred to an article that was printed in the Wall Street Journal that had said nobody prints out even digital photographs anymore. That means no hard copy pictures to pass down to the next generation. If this isn't another attempt to put a nail in the coffin of film photography, I don't know what would be.

I still shoot film and even develop my own black and white still. I rely on the labs to make prints for me, but it's getting to the point where there are physically no photo labs in my area. Walmart put all the little labs around my town out of business and I just found out that soon, Walmart is going to stop developing film themselves in all their stores. That's not right. They put all the little photo labs out of business, get all the business for themselves and then stop doing it themselves? What kind of world will be left to pass on to the next generation? Not one I would wish to stick them with!

mj said...

Hi thanks for this. I plan to study digital photography and I learned some information. Thanks again! Goodluck. By the way I want to share a informative article.

Check our latest article about digital photography:
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-film-and-digital-photography/